I started to get the first signs that Nathan was coming Saturday night when I started having minor contractions. They mostly just felt like strong cramps. They continued all day Sunday so Dave and I Just stayed home and relaxed as much as I could. By Monday the cramping had become pretty regular, often enough that I really couldn't get anything accomplished. By the time Dave got home from work they were every 7 minutes apart. They weren't super painful just really uncomfortable and getting progressively stronger. After that they were about every 5 minutes apart so I called the Doctor and he said I should go to the hospital and get checked just in case I was in labor. Of course as soon as the nurse had me hooked up to the monitors the contractions stopped so they sent me home. Of course they started up again when we got home, but I knew now that I needed to wait until they are really painful and they didn't want me to come until they were 2-5 minutes apart.
I ended up a spending all day Tuesday with strong regular contractions and by early afternoon they had became much more painful and strong. But they still were only 7 minutes apart so I waited until Dave got home from work. At around 6pm they had become even stronger and were now happening every 2-5 minutes apart. I was nervous about going in to soon again so We waited 2 hours before we decided we should really go in. Unfortunately when they checked me I was only dilated to 1.5 so they had Dave and I walk around the hospital for 2 hours and then rechecked me. There was no change although I was having strong contractions every 2 minutes.
I think I started crying when the Doctor stepped in and said he was going to send me home with a sleeping pill( like a pill was going to allow me to sleep through that kind of pain) The nurse told me to come back when the pain was 3 times stronger, which to be honest I did not think was even possible to experience. They had me take the sleeping pill, but all it did was make me really dizzy. We left for home at 11pm and for the next couple of hours I tried everything I could think of to deal with the pain. Finally at 3am they had gotten so much stronger and painful I could no longer lay in bed so I started to walk around the house. Even though they were only 2 minutes apart I was afraid to go back to the hospital I knew I couldn't take it if they sent me home again. Finally I curled up in a ball on the family room floor when I had a really strong contraction and my water broke.
We made it to the Hospital a little after 4am and when the nurse checked me I was still only dilated to 2.5, but this time she could feel his bottom instead of his head. She rushed back in with the ultrasound to see where the head was and found he was breech coming butt first. After that every thing happened so fast. She called the doctor and then came back in and said they I needed a C-section and they would get started at 5:00. Immediately they started hooking me up to IVs and took blood samples and started prepping me for the surgery. I think it all kind of scared Dave. I spent the whole time wishing that they could get started faster because by now the contractions were so bad that I was having a hard time stopping my body from pushing. I really wanted the epidural in a soon as they could.
I found the whole experience strange having seen so many c-sections on animals I knew what they were doing but could not feel a thing. By 5:30 I heard a baby crying and knew that Nathan had finally made it. They placed him by my head and they rushed him off with Dave to make sure his breathing was ok. Pretty much all the hours after that on Wednesday were a blur. After spending 3 days in the hospital I was more then ready to come home.
4 comments:
Wow, you were in labor for faaaar too long! I'm surprised that the doctor didn't realize Nathan was breech earlier. The best part is, you can schedule all the rest of your births, if you want to! :)
I am so glad he got here safe and sound! He is so cute, I can't wait to meet him. Just so you know, I did guess the name at one point, but you guys were good at not leaking it. I couldn't have kept it secret so long. You should come out for a week or so when you are feeling good so we can all see him. I don't want to wait until August!
Terri! How scary and painful. I bet they had no idea how much pain you were really in because of your cheerful, easy disposition. Way to go super woman! I'm so glad he's here safe and sound too. He is a CUTIE!!!
I cannot believe they kept sending you home !! I am convinced now that I had the greatest baby doctor in the world! She never sent me home, she always gave me an option, go home or she could give me petocin (sp?) and break my water and have the baby now !? Of course by then I was so ready to get the babies out of me. So all my births were fast, still painful, but no longer than 4 hours labor and very little pushing. Maybe it helped having a female doctor ?!? She didn't believe in more suffering than necessary, I guess. But, anyway, so glad Nathan is healthy and you are doing well, too! He is adorable !!
Post a Comment