On Thursday Oct 1st we welcomed our new baby boy. He arrived via c-section at 10:37am and was just perfect. We named him Colin Brent Griffith and he weighed 7lbs 12.5oz and was 21in long. That first day I was pretty out of it, I really struggled with the recovery after surgery this time around. Just in case you were wondering c-sections are hard and with each one my body has a harder time recovering.
On Thursday morning my mom arrived to our house around 7am to stay at our house while Nathan was at school. Dave and I drove to the hospital and waited until everyone was prepped for surgery. Usually the IV doesn't bother me but this time around it took them 3 tries and each time was extremely painful. Finally 10:00am came around and I was able to walk to surgery where they placed my spinal and prepped for surgery. Dave came in shortly after they started and he followed Colin out after he arrived. Shortly after Colin was born I started to feel really weak and struggled to keep my eyes open. And to be honest I don't remember much after that. Just a fuzzy memory of them moving me to the recovery room. For some reason the drugs really hit me hard this time and my heart rate dropped into the 40's and I guess my blood pressure was pretty low too. The plan was to keep me in recovery for about an hr and then move me back to my room so we could work on getting Colin feeding. But things didn't work out. They ended up bringing Colin into recovery with me to try and get him nursing but I was much to out of it,so they had to take him back to the nursery where they checked his blood sugar and then ended up tube feeding him some formula because his blood sugar was int he 20's. My recovery nurse bolused me a bunch of fluids to try and raised my heart rate but I still ended up spending 3 hrs in recovery before I was well enough to move to my room. By then I was so nauseous and miserable I am sure I looked horrible when Nathan and Brady arrived to visit.
I finally started feeling better late the night and by the next morning I was feeling a ton better. The only problem is during that time Colin really struggled with nursing. But I was determined to avoid formula again and eventually we started to figure things out. He did end up losing quite a bit of weight and took almost a full 3 days before my milk came in. But we are now back on track and he is once again gaining weight. We were discharged from the hospital Sunday just after lunch. I was relieved to be leaving the hospital and returning to the comfort of my own home.
Brady surprised me with how excited he was to meet his little brother. He wanted to spend the whole time at the hospital holding him.








No comments:
Post a Comment