It has been a busy week at the doctors for us. Tuesday I went in for my 27week check up. Good news I get another ultrasound next week. Hopefully this baby will be more cooperative this time around. Unfortunately I also found out the I failed my glucose test so that means I have gestational diabetes. Honestly I have been dreading finding out something like that. For the next week I am supposed to track my blood sugar 4 times a day and then I meet with the doctor again to see how we should manage the diabetes. Since my numbers were just a couple points high I am hoping that we can just manage it with diet. I have cut all sweets out of my diet that part I don't really find that difficult. The hard part for me is limiting the amount of carbs and fruits that I eat. I was trying to make a meal plan a few days ago and I realized how many of my recipes are high in carbs. I became extremely overwhelmed and depressed with the idea of trying to find meals that my whole family will eat but would still fit in the parameters that I need. I have come more to terms with the whole situation now and am actually hoping this change in diet will help me drop weight more quickly after the baby comes.
Wednesday I spent the majority of my day doing preop visits with Nathan's doctor and the hospital. Nathan was very brave for his blood draw, but let everyone know the rest of the day exactly where he had been poked.
Friday morning we got up early enough to get to the hospital by 6:30 in the morning. Nathan was scheduled to get tubes put in both ears and his adenoids out. Nathan had a great nurse. They started be giving him a sedative to take orally and that sure did put him in a good mood. He was funny seeing him so relaxed. After taking all his vitals they allowed me to follow him in to the operating room. I stayed with him while they masked him down with some gas. Once he was asleep they sent me to they waiting room. Once they finally started I think the procedures only took about 30mins to finish. As soon as he was awake in the recovery room they called me back while Dave finished talking to the doctor. His recovery went pretty good. He initially was having a hard time breathing so the nurse did a breathing treatment on him. After that he was just upset about his iv and all the other lines that were connected to him. Dave and I were both really impressed with Nathan's doctor and were glad the he strongly felt it was important for Nathan to be surrounded by his family as he was recovering. I guess there are a few doctors that will only allow 1 person with the patient at the time, but Nathan's doctor insisted that Dave come into recovery with us. After monitoring Nathan for about 30min we were allowed to head home. Nathan was happy to get all the lines removed and even enjoyed a Popsicle out to the car. Grandma Bell sent a gift for him to get after the surgery and Nathan was super excited to get his alligator for his new zoo he got for his birthday. He has been asking for an alligator for weeks. By the time we got home Nathan was pretty much acting like himself. It is so amazing how quickly kids recover. The only complications was about 3am last night he woke up vomiting. I think he was more upset about that then anything else. But after getting him and me all cleaned up he was happy to go back to sleep and has been happy all day today. The doctor told us that his adenoids were very large and were probably causing his snoring. Now that they have been removed and all of the fluid drained from his middle ear he should be doing great and hearing better. I am so glad we were finally able to get this done.
all prepped and ready for surgery.

3 comments:
Sorry to hear about the gestational diabetes, but if anyone can manage it, you can! There are a couple women in the ward who also get that when pregnant, if you need someone to talk to. Nathan is a trooper, you are right, this will be so nice in the long run. Praying for a speedy recover for his and your sake. You are an awesome mom Terri, and Dave, dad. Love you guys!
Yaya! its so nice to hear that Nathans health and hearing will be sooo much better, now you don't have to pump him full of meds! Sorry about the gestational diabetes. I hope learning the new diet for it goes smoothly for you. glad to hear all is well!
Sorry about the gestational diabetes. :( If I can come up with any recipes that I think Dave would also like I'll send them you're way!
And I'm so glad Nathan's surgery went well! I hope the recovery stays quick and smooth. What a brave little boy!
Post a Comment