Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Union Falls

 A couple months ago We attended a girls camp fundraiser dinner and auction. We ended up bidding on an all day horse ride including lunch and a babysitter for any young children, and we won it along with one other couple. I have really been looking forward to this trip all summer.
Saturday was finally the day. We got up early so we could head to the start of the hike just outside of Yellowstone.The total ride was about 14 miles long. 7 miles into the falls and 7 miles back to the truck and trailer. I was a little worried that the ride would be too long and I would be really sore, especially since I haven't really ridden a horse for the past two years. It was so much fun! We had to cross the river 4 times to reach the Falls  and even though I had crossed water on a horse before I had never crossed a river that was big enough to come to the horses belly's. Once we reached the falls we tied the horse up and ate some lunch then continued the short distance to the falls on foot. It was such a beautiful sight. Union Falls is strong this year due to the abundance of rain and snow we got this winter and spring. We then hiked back down to the horses and found some where to change into our bathing suits so that we could swim in a warm spring. It wasn't actually that warm but at least it was snow run off freezing. Unfortunately the mosquitoes are really bad this year and in the amount of time it took me to walk from the river back to our horse to change I was cover in bites, ugh I hate mosquitoes. Finally we headed back and I felt I was doing really good on the ride until about the last mile and then my knees and back started to really hurt. By the time we got the horse loaded into the trailer and headed home we were completely exhausted. Luckily Nathan was tired from playing and was in bed before 9 so that we could crash into bed early. Surprisingly the next morning I was that sore mostly I was just suffering from the huge red swollen areas were my mosquito bites. Over all we had a fantastic time I am so glad we were able to go and experience the beauty of some of the back country of Yellowstone.
                                      
                             Horses tied up at our destination.
                                                  Union Falls
                                The whole group that went on the ride.

 The area we rode into has been known for having bears even grizzlies, so Dave brought  a gun just in case so he could try and scare any off. We didn't end up seeing any wildlife. As neat as it would have been to see a bear in the wild I really didn't want to come face to face with a grizzly.
  
part of the river we swam in.
 
                                               The swimming hole


                            Dave jumping off the rocks into the swimming hole.

                                        

                                                  Some of the beautiful scenery.
                                                              On our way back.





                                                 Crossing the Rivers.



4 comments:

Kristy said...

Great pictures, great adventures! Those pictures of Dave with his gun are hilarious. I love the one of him on his horse, holding a gun! Glad you were safe!

Julie/Mom said...

It really looks like you had a blast! I was wondering how cold the water was! Fun times great memories.
And I'm glad Dave didn't have to use the gun.

Schoen Family said...

I'm so jealous it looks like you had a ton of fun!

cameo said...

Looks like a blast! My young women always did a dinner fundraiser but we never had anything like that to bid on!