So a couple weeks ago I took Nathan in to see the eye doctor just for an annual check up. I took him for the first time last year because I had read some where that kids should see an eye doctor between 3 and 4. Last year we discovered that he had an astigmatism in both eyes which was making any small print blurry. His vision was 20/40 so it wasn't really affecting his ability to see unless the object was far away. His doctor at the time said that he would eventually need glasses but that we didn't have to get them yet because he wasn't reading. He thought that we could wait until he was in a grade level where they started reading smaller print. This year I expected to hear the same but I could tell during the exam that Nathan was struggling. Although the doctor felt he wasn't a lot worse, his left eye was significantly weaker then his right. So he recommended that we start getting him use to glasses now. It can be harmful to their eyes if he really starts to favor one eye over the other and the glasses will help him use both eyes equally. So we order a pair and they final came in yesterday. Of course he was excited at first, but the excitement has warn off now and he has started asking not to wear them. I am not experienced with glasses but the doctor said it would probably take a week for him to get use to them. Now I just need to find a way to make sure he keeps them on. Hopefully some type of reward chart will do the trick.

No comments:
Post a Comment